Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Burned Paper

I have just started a new series of works that ties into the civil rights theme in a lot of my work. This new series is based off of lynchings in the US. These images were created by burning pieces of newspaper, no paint or anything added just burnt paper. I know that these works I've done are very fragile and might not last long but I think it is the exact aesthetic for the pain and injustices that have occurred. I also think that the fragile nature represents the fact that this history is hard to face and is easier to ignore letting it crumble away into the forgotten. Lynchings have occurred as recent as July 24, 1981 Michael Donald was lynched and June 15, 2000 Raynard Johnson was lynched. These images are the first of many works to come in this style and on this subject.





No comments: